Sunday, April 19, 2009

SHAVE IT! SHAVE IT! SHAVE IT!

Since the kids have been reluctant and freaked out about the whole head shaving process, when Greg woke me up early for church this morning it seemed like an opportune time to get it done. So Greg shaved it all off--Kate woke up and helped too--first with the big clippers, then the little clippers, and then an electric razor. Believe it or not, I felt much better looking bald, with a soft white head, than with that patchy itchy thin witches' hair I've been sporting this week. When I saw the back of my head in the mirror last night and I had some nice male pattern bald spots, a nice clean shave started sounding pretty good. I don't know if you'll agree, but I actually have a pretty nice looking head. And hat wearing is much more enjoyable when you don't have to worry about what the hat's going to do to your hair.
I took the new look to church today, not totally naked but with a little black cap on, and although I got some stares, I'm sure they were mostly stares of recognition of cancer treatment and sympathy, and not stares of "who's that freak?" I feel very empowered by shaving it instead of just letting it slowly and disgustingly fall out. It's a great change.
The messages I got from church today (when I wasn't distracted by a restless 2-year-old and 2 restless 12-year-olds and 1 restless 46-year-old) was that the power of repentance is real and God always wants us back and welcomes us with open arms if we turn back toward him, and that each individual is important and significant and God prefers that none of us get lost along the way. I'm sure there were some other important points I missed, but I liked the ones I got. I am glad for all the ways Heavenly Father is providing for me and cushioning my blows--like by giving me a nice looking head so I don't have to feel self conscious about being bald! And there's no way I'll have a single split end when it grows back in! But seriously, I am humbled by all the tender mercies I have every day. When I need them they come and I'm much more aware of them than ever before. I realize more than ever that cancer can't kill a good attitude any more than winning the lottery can promote a good attitude. Your attitude has nothing whatsoever to do with what you have or don't have. You'll only achieve a good attitude when you're grateful for what you have--truly and genuinely grateful.
Speaking of tender mercies, thanks to the Dibbles for surprising us with dinner today, and a continual stream of thanks to Justine Powell for making all my babysitting arrangements and making sure we have meals and I have walking partners and chemo buddies. Thank you ALL for providing meals, encouragement, gifts, and prayers for me and my family. We love you!

8 comments:

  1. Margi,
    I love your summary of church today, your cheerful attitude, loved the hat on your head it will be fun to see all the rest. I'm your chemo buddy for tomorrow. I'll pick you up at 9:15 and I found the missing book, I'll bring it.
    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait a second, wait a second, wait a second. You put this post out there and then don't treat us to a picture???!? What is this? :)

    Congratulations on your empowering new 'do. Way to stay positive, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You looked great at church today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for your summary of conference. My mind went numb due to the frustration of keeping my kids quiet!!! I'll be thinking of you today! Hope your treatment goes well and that they only need to poke ONE time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Margi, you are gorgeous bald! In both the photo with your twin, Hunter, and with your darling Kate, you look like a model . . . your beautiful eyes stand out like never before! You have always had the confidence to do "exotic" so go with it! This is your chance! You look fantastic. People will stare at you because they've hardly ever seen a bald woman . . . but then they will wonder . . . ok, is she doing chemo, or is she just gutsy because she knows she's gorgeous! Let them wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aunt Margi! You have a beautiful head! No weird bumps or craters! I think the hair was just taking away from you pretty face and warm smile the whole time! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found
    that it is truly informative. I'm gonna watch out for brussels. I will appreciate if you continue this in future. Lots of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

    Visit my homepage: hotmail search

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ӏ nеeded to thank yοu for thiѕ very gooԁ reаd!

    ! I abѕolutelу loved evеry bit of it.

    I have got you bookmагκed to cheсk out nеω thingѕ you post…

    Fеel free to viѕit mу web blоg
    - abrir cuenta facebook

    ReplyDelete